EVERY BUILDING HAS AN ENERGY PROFILE
We work with you and your team to navigate current code requirements and move towards your project's energy goals. This can manifest in many ways, such as:
- Early stage design analysis
- Passive design
- Code compliance
Energy & Sustainability Certifications
- Passive House
- Portfolio Manager Benchmarking
- BC Hydro or FortisBC program funding
- Energy efficiency incentives
Building Energy Analysis
- New construction
- Existing buildings
- BCBC Step Code
- Part 3 & 9 Code navigation
- Vancouver ASHRAE 90.1 Checklist assistance
- NECB 2011 compliance
Simulating energy solutions for your building
Established in 2015 in beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, we provide engineering consulting services to the building industry, with a focus on energy efficiency, sustainability and energy modelling for new and existing buildings.
At Focal Engineering our philosophy is to produce results that benefit our clients, our community and the environment. We collaborate with design teams to achieve a project's goals, with a focus on energy opportunities. By evaluating how design, construction, operation, maintenance and renewal decisions impact the energy performance of a building, we aim to guide the team towards a cost-effective, energy efficient facility.
Focal Engineering is a member of the Canadian Passive House Institute.
Talk to us about how we can contribute to your next project!
Our team of energy engineers
Susan Hayes, P.Eng., LEED AP BD+C, CPHD
Building Energy Advisor, Principal
Hover over pictures for bios.
Leo is our official office greeter and walk supervisor. He is quick to remind us when we have been sitting for too long and helps keep us healthy and happy.
we believe in the value of community
Susan has volunteered with several organizations over the course of her career. Currently, she contributes to the following organizations:
- International Building Performance Simulation Association, BC Chapter: Chair 2015-present
- APEGBC: Councillor for 2016-18
- Professional Practice Committee: Council Appointee
- Climate Change Advisory Group: Council Appointee
Susan's past involvement includes:
- International Building Performance Simulation Association, BC Chapter: External Communications 2014-
- Light House Sustainable Building Centre: Director
- YWCA High School Mentorship Program: Mentor
- Canadian Construction Women: Member
- Natural Resources Canada Portfolio Manager Benchmarking Committee: Committee Member
- APEGBC Editorial Board: Board Member (3 terms)
- APEGBC Division for Advancement of Women in Engineering and Geoscience: Finance Director & Advisory Board Member
If you are interested in learning more about any of these wonderful organizations, contact us and we'll connect you.
Check out a sample of our fun projects!
Victoria Office in Market Square
#215 560 Johnson Street
**Come visit us in our new office!**
T: (604) 842-7893
Vancouver (mailing address)
#200 1675 West Second Avenue
Vancouver BC, Canada
T: (604) 842-7893