Every building has an energy profile
We work with you and your team to navigate current code requirements and move towards your project's energy goals. This can manifest in many ways, such as:
- Early stage design analysis
- Passive design
- Code compliance
Energy & Sustainability Certifications
- Passive House
- Portfolio Manager Benchmarking
- BC Hydro or FortisBC program funding
- Energy efficiency incentives
Building Energy Analysis
- New construction
- Existing buildings
- BCBC Step Code
- Part 3 & 9 Code navigation
- Vancouver ASHRAE 90.1 Checklist assistance
- NECB 2011 compliance
Simulating energy solutions for your building
Established in 2015 in beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, we provide engineering consulting services to the building industry, with a focus on energy efficiency, sustainability and energy modelling for new and existing buildings.
At Focal Engineering our philosophy is to produce results that benefit our clients, our community and the environment. We collaborate with design teams to achieve a project's goals, with a focus on energy opportunities. By evaluating how design, construction, operation, maintenance and renewal decisions impact the energy performance of a building, we aim to guide the team towards a cost-effective, energy efficient facility.
Focal Engineering is a member of the Canadian Passive House Institute.
Talk to us about how we can contribute to your next project!
Our team of energy engineers
Susan Hayes, P.Eng., LEED AP BD+C, CPHD
Building Energy Advisor, Principal
Jana Strain, E.I.T., M.A.Sc.
Susan has worked in the building industry for over twelve years at a variety of mechanical engineering, integrated design and building envelope firms. She is an experienced designer, project manager and energy modeller with a passion for sustainability, which has been her career focus. Her certifications include:
- Professional Engineer (APEGBC),
- LEED® Accredited Professional with a Building Design + Construction Specialty (Green Building Certification Institute),
- Certified Passive House Designer (Canadian Passive House Institute), and
- PowerSmart Modeller (BC Hydro).
Over the course of her career, Susan has been involved in a variety of design projects including residential, civic, institutional, office, retail, and industrial, which were located across Canada and in the United States. Her work has included mechanical design for new construction and existing buildings, energy modelling, research, and other energy and water analysis projects.
Some of her career highlights include presenting at conferences across North America, contributing to several magazine publications, leading the LEED® energy modelling team for the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Athlete’s Village, and being the lead mechanical designer for two buildings that won Vancouver Regional Construction Association Excellence awards.
Susan is an avid supporter of diversity in engineering, energy modelling and sustainability initiatives, and volunteers at several organizations, mentioned on our Community page.
LinkedIn Profile: https://ca.linkedin.com/in/susan-hayes-399b171
Jana is a mechanical engineer-in-training who recently joined Focal Engineering after completing her Master of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Victoria. Her background in creative design solutions and interest in energy efficiency make her an excellent addition to our team.
Jana enjoys learning about different buildings and materials used for construction, and is keenly interested in how to build more energy efficient buildings. She is looking forward to taking the Passive House Canada training courses in the fall.
She volunteers with APEGBC and can often be found collecting trash at Surf Rider beach clean ups.
LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jana-strain-8b099b45/?ppe=1
Leo (left) and Kaia (right) are our official office greeters and walk supervisors. They're quick to remind us when we have been sitting for too long and help keep us healthy and happy.
we believe in the value of community
Susan has volunteered with several organizations over the course of her career. Currently, she contributes to the following organizations:
- International Building Performance Simulation Association, BC Chapter: Chair 2015-present
- APEGBC: Councillor for 2016-18
- Professional Practice Committee: Council Appointee
- Climate Change Advisory Group: Council Appointee
Susan's past involvement includes:
- International Building Performance Simulation Association, BC Chapter: External Communications 2014-
- Light House Sustainable Building Centre: Director
- YWCA High School Mentorship Program: Mentor
- Canadian Construction Women: Member
- Natural Resources Canada Portfolio Manager Benchmarking Committee: Committee Member
- APEGBC Editorial Board: Board Member (3 terms)
- APEGBC Division for Advancement of Women in Engineering and Geoscience: Finance Director & Advisory Board Member
If you are interested in learning more about any of these wonderful organizations, contact us and we'll connect you.
Check out a sample of our fun projects!